Friday, September 01, 2006

Day 2.1

The next stage of this chapter was concerned with writing the code for having the game run in Windows. It was a still bore and the author acknowledged that it would be.

It’s basically the code for getting it to open a window, what interfaces it will use connect to the windows, what the icons for the executable with be used, and code on how to stop running the program upon close.

I did enjoy the information just for the simple sake that it helped me to understand that it tries to stop running code when you close an application, not just severs it. That little distinction gives my puny brain a storm of education on why a program gone awry takes forever to close. Years of angry moments just flooded through me with a better understanding. If nothing else, this book will help me teach me more about how programs are going about things. That alone is worth the price to me.

But I still want more. The next lesson is making a game engine. Just reading those words made me think of Doom. The evolutions of games seem to not be in the ability of the programmer, but in the power of the system running it. I bet when the person that made Asteroids first saw it working he dreamed of the games we play and wondered if there would ever be a system fast enough to run all that code.

5 Comments:

At September 01, 2006 7:36 PM, Blogger VF said...

Make a game engine? They're already delving into that subject? Doesn't it take like a "code ninja" to write up one of those?

 
At September 01, 2006 7:55 PM, Blogger VF said...

Actually Fred, you might wanna take a look at XNA

http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/XNA/default.aspx

I haven't taken a look at it yet, but I've people seem to be interested in it.

 
At September 01, 2006 8:00 PM, Blogger VF said...

damn I'm posting alot on this subject but I just wanted to say one more thing. If, and when, you do get to the point where your ready to start let me know. I would be more than happy to offer my artistic skills with the zombie project. I should at least use this BA in fine arts for something.

 
At September 06, 2006 10:34 AM, Blogger Adam Payne said...

Nice going man. The first step with a new language is always the hardest, when they throw a bunch of code at you and ask that you just accept the fact that it'll eventually make sense. Feel free to pick my brain on anything that you feel the book doesn't explain well enough.

 
At September 06, 2006 1:54 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Thanks for the offers guys. I promise you that if I stick with this, I'll definitly be asking for both of your help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home