Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Refinishing Cabinets

It’s been a year since I started, and I wanted to give you my opinion on a project close to my heart. That project is refinishing my kitchen cabinets. My opinion is simple; for the love of God, never do this to yourself unless you are a shut-in with free time or have a kitchen with one cabinet door.

This process has been nothing but a pain for me. Between the constant sanding, the destruction of using power tools, the humidity in the air being a real negative factor, and the nightmare of using stain is a long and painful process. Let’s sum it up.

Take apart cabinets
Use varnish remover
Sand off remaining stain
Use lighter sandpaper to smooth
Use wood conditioner to even stain
Sand lightly again after conditioning
Stain wood within 30 minutes of conditioning and sanding
Apply second coat.
Apply third coat (optional)
Use cloth to spot stain uneven stain areas
Apply sealant
Sand smooth
Apply second coat of sealant
Re-drill hole and reattach hardware
Reconstruct cabinets
Murder drunken whore that points out imperfections

See? Wasn’t that simple? All it took was not having a life and living in a place with no humidity. I have saved over $1500 dollars by doing this process myself. I will tell you that this was not worth that money. I will suggest that if you are dead set on a project like this, throw away your cabinet doors, buy some nice wood and a router, and make new doors. I promise you, it will be the best plan. It has beed so miserable, I can't even find anything smart ass to say about it.

1 Comments:

At August 12, 2006 12:54 AM, Blogger VF said...

I feel your pain fred. I redid some of the wood trim in my apartment, and boy did I regret starting that project.

The apartment complex I rent from I guess thought they'd take the easy way out when repainting the apartment after the old tenant moved out and just paint over every god damn square inch with white paint. Its a damn shame really. This is an old building with some nice architectural designs.

Anyways, I stripped the paint in the dining room and kitchen doorway before I realized that I was kinda in over my head. I at least finished up what I started and stopped there. The end result is nice. Don't get me wrong. It just required LOTS of effort to restore it down to the original finish. Lots of sweat, toxic fumes, dust, and mess I got tired of real quick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home