Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Compilers

I’m a bit stuck in my studies. My friend Adam put it best that they throw a bunch of code at you and tell you that it will all make sense later. I have a problem with that. I like to know what I am doing and it is slowing me down. The main thing I am getting a grasp on is compilers.

It looks like that I can program all I want in a text editor, but I will need something to build it into an executable so it will run. A compiler does this, and apparently a lot more. There was a free compiler on the CD that came with the book, but I thought I would go with something else to do the work. I would like to use other programs because they do the same thing, but in different ways. That helps me ask better question instead of just typing in some code as the book says and getting a pat on the head for following instructions. After all, this is about learning how to do it, not just proving I have good reading comprehension.

I think I’ll try MS Visual C++ express. It’s mainstream, free, and probably has a lot more versatile help then other things. I’m off to type out some code, apparently what they call the “Program Code.” If I have it right, it’s the file that sets the parameters for the game I actually write to operate within. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I’ll see how the compiler works first, and then I’ll be on to chapter 3. Right now I am working a full week while having my house painted, and still finishing the kitchen, so it might be a few days before I get there. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home